Shooting outside Nationals Park hospitalizes 3, including 1 fan. Game suspended until Sunday


A shooting between two cars outside Nationals Park in D.C. Saturday night left three people injured, including one fan, and created a frightened atmosphere at the ballpark.

A shooting between two cars outside Nationals Park in D.C. Saturday night left three people injured, including one fan, and created a frightened atmosphere at the ballpark.

All of those who were injured are in stable condition, according to D.C. police.

The three people were shot outside of Nationals Park in the 1500 block of South Capitol Street SW around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night.

Two of the suspected shooters who were hospitalized were in a white SUV. They were targeted by gunfire from a dark colored sedan, according to police.

A third victim was a baseball fan who was caught in the crossfire. Authorities said that she was grazed in the back by a bullet while crossing South Capitol Street and O Street.

Police said the sedan was last seen travelling southbound on South Capitol Street immediately after the incident.

Law enforcement sources told WTOP News partner NBC Washington that one of the cars that had opened fire fled over the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge.

At a press conference Saturday night, D.C. police provided an update to their original information that said two people were injured in the shooting and an additional two took themselves to the hospital for “treatment for gunshot wounds.”

Two of those who were involved in the shooting and later hospitalized are being questioned at area hospitals, per NBC Washington.

The Washington Nationals game against the San Diego Padres has been postponed until 1:05 p.m. on Sunday due to the shooting.

WTOP reporters and staff attending the game sent in their own first-hand accounts and reactions to the shooting.

Hearing shots fired alarmed the thousands of fans in the stands. WTOP’s Dan Friedell, who was working the game in the press box, said that he had “never seen anything like this.”

Friedell reported that, at first, there was a thought that the commotion was due to incoming storms. But that perception changed quickly when tons of fans began heading toward the exits.

“Next thing we know we can see hundreds, perhaps thousands of fans, leaving their seats behind the centerfield bullpen and the San Diego Padres bullpen — running toward the centerfield exit… it’s just completely unclear. It was very chaotic,” Friedell said.

He added that dozens of people were “literally crawling over each other” after they entered the left field line went toward a safer spot in the Padres dug out. Other fans also took cover wherever they were throughout the stadium.

“We saw people in the second deck, ducking below the concrete in the front of their section,” Friedell said, adding that people ran toward the tunnels behind home plate that you often see during TV broadcasts of the game.

WTOP’s technology manager Brian Oliger, who was also at the game, described the chaos this way.

“What sounded like fireworks exploding behind our seats in Sec. 115, [it was] followed by lots of panicked, scrambling fans and the players were immediately pulled off the field. No confirmation on exactly what’s going on at this time.”

WTOP reporter Mitchell Miller was sitting along the left field side of the stadium, and wasn’t sure where the shots were coming from at first.

“It wasn’t clear whether or not it was inside the stadium or outside the ballpark, but what was clear is everyone was concerned and scared,” Miller said.

“There were people running up and down the aisles. They were worried about a possible mass shooting, there was a woman within a couple of seats for me who was crying.”

Miller continued by saying that the recent spate of mass shootings and violence in cities around the country contributed to the anxious environment at the park. However, “everybody seemed to be dealing with it in a very methodical situation.”

The game was suspended in the bottom of the 6th inning when the Padres were leading 8-4. It will resume at that same spot on Sunday.

Below is the area where the shooting took place:

WTOP’s Glynis Kazanjian, Dan Friedell, Brian Oliger and Mitchell Miller contributed to this report.

This is a developing story. Stay with WTOP for the latest.


Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button