Ross Lyon Carlton coach, Collingwood role, categorically rules out contact, Footy Classified

Read more at www.foxsports.com.au

A livid Ross Lyon has categorically denied he’s received any official contact from – or reached out to – Carlton or Collingwood, slamming reports suggesting otherwise as “incredibly disrespectful”.

And Lyon delivered a stern warning for anyone thinking about applying for the Magpies role, suggesting the club was not “settled” and lacking “real clarity on what that role needs”.

Lyon has been heavily linked to the Magpies’ vacant full-time coaching position following the mid-season departure of Nathan Buckley, while Carlton’s subpar 2021 campaign and decision to launch an external mid-year review of its football department has commentators pondering whether David Teague’s future is secure.

Stream selected Fox Footy shows on Kayo Freebies completely free this June including AFL 360, On The Couch, Bounce & more. No Credit Card. No-brainer. Register Free Now >

Veteran journalist Jon Anderson reported on 3AW Breakfast on Wednesday morning that talk around “Ross Lyon to Carlton is getting stronger”, adding he’d spoken to people he’d “think would know” about the situation.

But speaking on Channel 9’s Footy Classified on Wednesday night, Lyon defiantly and categorically ruled out he’d had any official contact with the Blues or Collingwood.

“I’m going to put a full stop on this,” Lyon told Footy Classified.

Ex-Fremantle coach Ross Lyon. Picture: Paul KaneSource: Getty Images

“I can categorically say I have had no contact from anyone at the Carlton Football Club or the Collingwood Football Club. That is fake news and I haven’t reached out to anybody.

“At some point can we all just move (on)? It’s incredibly disrespectful. There’s a review going on, no one understands the stresses of the job (like) David Teague and his family and they had a win last week.

“I just think it’s cheap, I don’t like it and he ‘thinks they would know’. You know what? Apply some rigour and make sure they know.”

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EDITION OF THE FOX FOOTY PODCAST HERE, OR TAP TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES OR SPOTIFY

Lyon, who coached St Kilda and Fremantle in 305 AFL games, had previously indicated he was open to speaking to Collingwood about its vacant coaching position following Buckley’s resignation.

But Lyon on Wednesday night stressed he would take a call “out of respect” and listen, never that he had a strong desire to be a senior coach again.

Multiple reports this week have linked rival-club assistant coaches Don Pyke and Sam Mitchell, as well as ex-Kangaroos senior coach Brad Scott, to the vacant Magpies role.

Brad Scott was a former Collingwood assistant before taking on the Kangaroos role.Source: News Limited

Ex-Magpies president Eddie McGuire declared on Footy Classified the Collingwood coaching job “just doesn’t turn up” and that Scott would have a “good, long, hard think about it” if he was asked to be interviewed.

But Lyon cautioned any prospective Pies candidates.

“They’ve set an incredibly high bar for anybody,” Lyon said.

“Nathan Buckley – prelim, Grand Final, they’ve virtually said unless – and I hear the rebuild but I don’t think that’s realty once you get the job. It seems as though it was almost a political decision that Buckley goes … I’m not sure that that’s settled.”

Magpie forced into medical retirement | 00:32

Asked if he’d have concerns being the Collingwood coach, Lyon said: “Based on what happened to Nathan Buckley and my view of his performance and what he went through this year and what the club went through – he bore the brunt – and the players they lost and the injuries and the seven debutants and his competitiveness. For him to be considered not to be the one to take them forward, I’m not sure that they’ve got real clarity on what that role needs.

“They’re an incredibly big club, but do you sit here and think they’re a settled club at the minute?”

Read more at www.foxsports.com.au

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button