GTA 6 leaks and rumors are as old as GTA 5, and yet this most recent round of reveals appears to have some extra weight attached to it, as multiple sources seem to be confirming the same details.
The original report is from known GTA 6-discusser, Tom Henderson, who posted a YouTube video a short while ago purporting to have some significant details. But this week, we’ve seen that both website VGC, and Bloomberg journalist Jason Schreier are saying they’ve heard similar things to what Henderson reveals. And so yes, this batch of rumors and potential leaks seems worth examining more closely.
Here are the highlights of what GTA 6 is supposed to be:
- The map is indeed a return to Vice City. It is not the largest map of all time, but reportedly a big part of the new game is the world “evolving” in time, which is compared to Fortnite map changes, as it will get bigger and shift through added DLCs.
- While being set in Vice City, we are not returning to the ‘80s, and the modern day setting is meant to be so Rockstar can continue to have a ton of freedom with modern aesthetics like they do with GTA 5/Online.
- There will once again be multiple protagonists this time around, and one of them is reportedly the game’s first female lead. She’s pitched as the “smart one,” who is good with tech, hacking, etc.
- The game is in the very early stages of development, and Henderson doesn’t believe it will be here until 2024 or 2025. The primary reasons for this are that GTA 5 continues to make an absurd amount of money each year, and also Rockstar is prioritizing employee health after previous workplace problems.
- Cryptocurrency will play some role in the game, though hopefully that’s just as an in-game economy thing and not like “GTA 6 will feature NFTs!” or something absurd like that. But at this rate, who knows.
The Vice City rumors in particular have been around for a long while, and make sense given the trajectory of the series centered around Liberty, San Andreas and Vice. We’ve heard the female protagonist rumor before, but it’s one of those “I’ll believe it when it happens” sort of things. And given that the game is so early in development, it’s probably wise to assume all of this can change, as we’re talking about a game that probably isn’t going to be out within 3-4 years. That would be more toward the tail end of this current console generation, so who knows if this would be Series X/PS5 only. I would assume so, and yet, GTA 5 did manage to span three generations.
Anyway, all of this sounds interesting, though I suppose not especially surprising, given that it’s mostly broad, somewhat obvious strokes. But of all the rumors we’ve heard, these sound like the most potentially legit leaks to date.
Subscribe to my free weekly content round-up newsletter, God Rolls.