For media inquiries: Samantha Hillson, 607-274-6714, [email protected]
For health inquiries: Community Health Services at 607-274-6604
For general inquiries (non-medical): Call 2-1-1 or 877-211-8667
Cayuga Health COVID-19 Sampling Site: 607-319-5708, cayugahealth.org/
New York State Hotline for COVID-19: 1-888-364-3065
HEALTH ALERT: Potential Public Exposures at Odyssey Bookstore
(Ithaca, N.Y., December 12, 2020) – The Tompkins County Health Department is alerting the public of a potential COVID-19 exposure. The Health Department received notification of an individual who tested positive for COVID-19 and worked at Odyssey Bookstore in Ithaca during the time when they could have infected others. The individual who tested positive is in isolation and any close contacts are in quarantine.
Potential public exposure may have occurred at Odyssey Bookstore, 115 W. Green St., Ithaca during the following date and times:
- Tuesday, December 8, 10:00am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday, December 9, 10:00am – 6pm
- Thursday, December 10, 10:00am – 4:00pm
If you were at Odyssey Bookstore during the dates and times above, please do the following:
It is recommended that you get tested at a Cayuga Health Sampling Site:
- Mass Sampling Site: The Shops at Ithaca Mall parking lot, 40 Catherwood Rd. Regular hours, Monday-Friday 8:30AM-4:00PM. This site is open Sunday, December 12, 8:00am – 1:00PM.
- Downtown Sampling Site: 412 N. Tioga St. Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM
- Appointment Required. Register for an appointment online at cayugahealthsystem.org or call the Cayuga Health Call Center at 607-319-5708. Regular hours for the Call Center are Monday-Friday 8:30AM-4:00PM.
- Monitor your health for any symptoms of cough, fever, congestion, and shortness of breath for 14 days from the last time specified above that you were at this business. For a full list of symptoms, go to the TCHD website.
- If you seek testing and the result is negative, continue to monitor your health for the full 14 days from the last time specified above that you were at this business. If you become symptomatic, seek testing again.
- If potentially exposed, Cornell University students should contact Cornell Health at 607-255-5155; do not go to an arrival or surveillance testing site.
- All other students and community members should seek testing at the Cayuga Health Sampling Sites.
Odyssey Bookstore shared with the Health Department that they are following COVID-19 precautions and cleaning protocols. The bookstore indicated that staff monitor themselves for symptoms and stay home if they are symptomatic. In the store, there is required mask wearing and distancing between staff and customers.
“Anyone who may have been at Odyssey Bookstore during these times should seek a test and closely monitor themselves for symptoms. To reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, we’re reminding everyone to continue to wear a mask, stay six feet apart, and consider density when going out,” stated Frank Kruppa, Public Health Director.