This story is part of , our full coverage of the latest news from Apple headquarters.
Apple’s newdebuted on Tuesday at the tech giant’s . The beacon-style devices work similarly to and Bluetooth trackers and can help you find lost items like your keys, backpack and more by tracking them with the and .
(£29, AU$45) each or $99 (£99, AU$149) for a pack of four, and are now . They’ll sell in stores on April 30. You can also find different available from third-party sellers like Belkin.
But once you get your AirTags, how do you actually use them? Here’s what you need to know about getting started with AirTags.
How to set up your Apple AirTags
Apple says the AirTags setup is similar to how you activate AirPods. Here’s what to do once you’ve got the devices in hand.
1. Locate the Find My app on your iPhone or you’ll need to set it up.. The app should be preinstalled, but
2. Pair your AirTag with your iPhone. All you have to do is bring the AirTag close to your iPhone, and it should connect.
3. Follow the onscreen steps to name your new item (e.g., “My car keys” if you’re attaching your AirTag to your keys) and register it to your Apple ID.
4. Once the AirTag is paired, you should be able to see it under Items in the app, where you’ll be able to see its current or last known location on a map.
5. Attach the AirTag to whatever item you’d like to keep track of — your keys, your phone, anything.
Finding nearby items with AirTags or turning on Lost Mode
Another cool feature: If the item you’ve misplaced is within Bluetooth range, you can use the Find My app to play a sound from the AirTag to help you find it. You can also ask Siri to find the item, and the AirTag will play a sound if it’s nearby. If you have anor , you’ll be able to take advantage of the Precision Finding feature, which can help guide you to the AirTag with more precise directions.
If you’ve misplaced your item in a public place, you can place the AirTag in Lost Mode and get notified once it’s in range or has been located by the Find My network. If someone finds it, they can tap it using their iPhone or another NFC-capable device and be taken to a website to display the contact information for the owner, if you’ve set that up.
For more, check out, and .